Thursday, June 18, 2009

Week #21 More Music No One Will Ever Hear Redux - The Boxed Set

So after my last post I got an email from the esteemed Greg Travis #1; former member of German Cars Vs. American Homes and co-creator of this crazy shit: http://narrative-inscription.com/.


Greg had tried to get me to make a Mishap Boxed set a couple of years back. His idea was to make it real classy and try and pass it off as an art item. At the time I put it down to him slightly fucking with me.

When Greg emailed me again after my last post to re-assert his need for a Mishap Boxed set I got a sort of idea.

What if I combined my last two projects? Made a mishap boxed set where we entirely made up our history and identifies. Along with CD’s of all our music there would be a large full color book explaining the history of the bands, the inspiration for the songs and the bio’s of the artists; all entirely fictional.

Naturally there’d still be a pretty limited market for it. Still I really like the idea more of the compilation or boxed set as a conceptual art project then just a collection of songs. It would be even cooler if we could get people we don’t know to write the stories about us.

1 comment:

  1. Ted wanted to do something similar for General Handywork - invent a phony history with them as an unknown 60's garage band. Of course nothing came of it. Jared has also discussed us pooling our collective Mishap musical archives... I've been meaning to work on it. He was looking for the Traveling Misanthrope's tape. This could be a good idea. If some douchebag can get Mcsweeny's to publish an ornately packaged book consisting of a list of heavy metal bands, we could do this. Put Greg in charge.

    ReplyDelete