Monday, March 23, 2009

Week #9-Mishap Poetry Contest

A few years back I’d started writing taking my poetry more seriously. I’d started submitting it to contests and magazines all over the country. I noticed after a while that so many of the contests seemed like sort of scams where everybody would send there entry fee and the people who won would get a small amount of that money as a prize but most of it would just go straight into the pockets of the people running the contests.

It occurred t me that it would be interesting to have a contest where you got a little more back if you won. Where the money sent as an entry fee really went to something real. Me and Ryan Beebe of the Gomorrans came up with an idea to have a poetry contest where the top five winners get there poems recorded as songs on an album we then released and sent out to all the entrants. We could try and do like one a year.

I’ve always really dug poems put to music like Elvis Costello’s “drunk man’s praise for sobriety” and the one Ryan did a while back from the Emily Dickinson Poem “My life closed twice”. I think it would be a really good way to bridge the gap between the literary hipsters and the music hipsters.

In modern times I guess music doesn’t really exist in a physical form as much so it would probably make more sense to make it a website rather than a CD. I’m still into the idea of CD’s so I may just want to make a few for sentimental reasons if we ever do this thing.

This idea came to me and Ryan about four years ago and we never really progressed with it. Writing about it now it actually seems like a pretty cool idea. If anyone out there wants to partner up with me on it all I’d need is like one persons help to get this thing going.

No comments:

Post a Comment