Monday, February 23, 2009

Week #6 The Mishap Talent Show

This is an idea for an event I'd like to put on like one of our Mishap Proms or Science Fairs. The idea was inspired by a birthday party for Ryan Beebe I went to last year at the Happiness Hotel.

The concept was fairly simple, when we arrived at the party there was a sign up sheet where you could write your name and a talent you intended to present. When your name was called you’d go up in front of everyone and perform an example of your talent. People really came through with some awesome talents; there was a dance routine, a couple of songs, someone gave out free financial advice and I did a monologue from a one man show I’d done recently.

What made this more than a free-for all karaoke or open mike was the presence of “Celebrity Judges”. We had a panel of three or four of our more boisterous friends critique and rate each performance like a sort tongue in cheek American Idol. In the end the winners all got bizarre home made gifts.

What I want to do is recreate this in a night club setting. Basically just taking this same format and making it a little less casual by having a few local semi-celebrities as judges. As well as a few ringer performers, people we know will be performing that we can put on the flier to get people in the door. Plus I think we’ll have the sign up sheet at the door and whoever signs up to perform gets in free.

What I need to do this is basically just a good space for it. Of coarse I need performers and judges but I think those will fall into place once I have a location. If you have any suggestions please email them to me or post a comment here.

No comments:

Post a Comment