Thursday, January 29, 2009

Week #3-Patchwork Girl of OZ-Movie

I’ve always wanted to do a film adaptation of the book OZ book “Patchwork Girl of OZ” by L. Frank Baum. My idea would be to do the whole film using no CGI. We’d use puppets, models and real setting as well as costumes and make-up for the human shaped characters. I’d also like to keep the rather antiquated dialogue of the original script as much as possible.

I don’t want to describe the whole plot of this book, there’s a pretty good synopsis of it on Wikipedia. It’s got some great characters that, with the right people involved, we could make look awesome. It also takes place in the land of OZ we’re familiar with from the 1939 film version of Wizard of OZ we've all seen. Including the Tin Man, Dorothy and the Scarecrow (Who falls in love with the titular Patchwork Girl)

I want to shoot all the exteriors in the forests of Northern California. Get some real circus performers to play a bunch of the parts. Most importantly a gymnast for the Patchwork Girl

There have been a few film versions of this that have been done through the years mostly by super OZ fans. The most notable and the one I’ve actually seen is the silent version which is pretty awesome.

Not much else to say about it. This would be kind of a huge collaborative effort but with all the whining about how bad CGI looks I think there’s a whole generation of people who can build this kinda’ stuff out there.

I’ve written a couple of pages of the script already.

No comments:

Post a Comment